Tin Roof Background

Sonntag, Dezember 03, 2006

Things on my mind...

NaNoWriMo
National Novel Writing Month. Founded by a man named Chris Baty, it is a contest of sorts to write a 50,000 word novel in just one month, worst case scenario, 30 days. He wrote a book about it called No Plot? No Problem! which gives advice to those wishing to attempt the feat advice on how to find time, how to prepare, and a week by week this-is-what-you'll-be-going-through-and-how-to-fix-it section. I'm reading the book to prepare and get ideas and support. NaNoWriMo is usually in November, but since I found out about the last few days of November, I'll have to choose my own month. I would have done December, but it's already three days into the month and, according to plan, I should have 5,001 words written and I have nothing so far. I'm choosing January to be my NaNoWriMo, that way I have time to prepare and warn everyone where my free time (ha!) will be spent. We'll see what happens. Maybe I'll just start writing down ideas and I'll be able to run with it. Who knows?

Flute
Tonight I was hanging out with some friends of mine and between the three of us the piano, recorder, and flute were played. My friend, Ruth, who has played flute for 8 years and currently teaches flute lesssons graciously offered me her flute and taught me how to play it. I had been complimenting her and saying how I could never quite get it down when I had tried before, so she taught me how to do it. I played three notes, high and low, and I even trilled! Ruth was telling me how amazed she was that I "found my spot" (the place to hold your mouth to make the sound) and held it rather well, something that she couldn't nail for a year and her current student is still having problems with. She said I was a natural. After that and watching her play with Jordan, who plays the piano, and her boyfriend Ryan, who also plays the piano, makes me want to learn how to play the flute. I'm actually seriously considering taking lessons from Ruth like she so casually suggested to me. We'll see.

Living Arrangements
Apartment or On-Campus Housing? This is the question that has been rolling around in my mind for the past week or so. I see benefits and disadvantages to both. If I were to move into an apartment, I would want at least two roommates, but finding a third person is proving to be tricky. That and I have to convince the already "roommate" to allow a third person. Living on-campus (in Arlington) would give me the dorm experience, plus the convenience of not having to cook/buy my own food, wake up way, way early in the morning just to make class, the saving of gas by not commuting, etc. The disadvantages are, one, not knowing who I'd room with. Private rooms are available, but that wouldn't give me the complete "dorm experience." If I did start taking flute lessons, it'd be a heck of a drive. Two, I'd be living in Arlington. It's not known for it's safety, I can tell you that much. I haven't visited campus yet to know how protected it is, IF it is. Three, I'd be farther away from my friends, so I'd have to make trips to go see them. Four, I wouldn't be able to use the dishes and kitchen things that I've already bought for the apartment.

The advantages of an apartment would be that I have my own space, I choose which town I live in, I'd be closer to my friends and church, I wouldn't have to bother my parents by coming home every weekend to go to church, and such other things. Disadvantages would be having to pay bills every month, having to commute to school, having to cook and buy groceries, clean up (vacuum, mop, dust, etc.), and such things related to having an apartment.

I know that if I do get an apartment that it will be very unlikely for me to live on-campus ever. I'm having a very hard time making up my mind about this. I could handle either one, no doubt, I just have to decide which one I want. It's a tough decision. Plus I don't want to hurt the feelings of my friend whom I'd get an apartment with, though I'm trying not to let that sway what I want. It's hard.

Those are the main things that have been on my mind recently. Those, and I wish I were only a few years older so that my dream could finally come true. Once again, we'll see.

Have a great day, everyone, and I will talk to you all later. Tschüss!

Keine Kommentare: