Tin Roof Background

Samstag, März 24, 2007

And Then There Were None

We are officially a dog-less family today. I woke from a nap today to my Mom knocking on my door. "We're taking Oreo. Do you want to say goodbye?" she asked. She didn't have to say where; I knew. I went and took pictures and a video of Oreo before we left. My parents, William, and I took him to Animal Control. When you hand a dog over, it has four days to get adopted. After the four days, they euthanize the animal. On Wednesday, he'll be dead.
Here are the pictures of him from today:


After taking Oreo, my parents had some errands to run. We dropped stuff off at Goodwill and then took a box of books to the used bookstore. We all took some time to look around the bookstore. I bought three books written in German (to help me learn through sort of immersion). The first is called Alle Meine Träume by Rona Jaffe; the second is called Die Buben der Frau Opterberg by Rudolf Herzog, published in 1931 (though the copyright date is 1920); the third is Neuester Lieder-Kranz für fröhlidje Sänger & Sangesfreunde, indistinguishable author. Die Buben der Frau Opterberg was very interesting to me not only for its age, but also for the fact that it is written in old script (the Olde English style letters), which will be interesting to decipher. The song book, Neuester Lieder-Kranz, is also written in old script and looks to be the eldest of the purchased books.

After we went to the bookstore we took the books that the store didn't buy to Goodwill, then we went to Catfish King and ate crappy catfish.

A classmate of mine reminded me last night that my history teacher has set Monday as the due date for our next four page paper. Similar to the last one we had to write, she has not taught on the subject whatsoever. What is different from the last paper is that the class is about 20 years past this subject, which means that we will all have to teach ourselves everything that we need to know to write this paper. This only adds to the frustration of everything this week.

I had to take my car into the shop on Friday, but I couldn't get it in until noon and they got really busy after I called them at 9:00. They said they would call if they were able to look at my car that afternoon and I didn't receive a call. This means that they won't even look at my car until Monday, which means I will be dependent on Lara for a ride to and from school and on my Dad for a ride to work.

All-in-all, this has been the worst spring break of my entire life.

Something positive: I got a new television. I bought it with my own money. I've been saving for a while and now I finally have it. I got it set up Wednesday. It looks nice in my room. It's a 24" widescreen LCD television. It was on sale at the JCPenny Outlet Store in Grapevine Mills mall. I am so glad that I am able to buy things like this and save most of my money at the same time.

3 Kommentare:

Robyn Rochelle E.Cox hat gesagt…

I'm sorry about you dog Oreo.
I am not bringing my cat to Germany - A.W.Tozer is the most incredible cat in the world. Alas, he would not be safe here in the Schwarzwald. Ich habe kein 'screens' in meinem Fenster. Don't be upset with me if that sentence is schleckt! Nor my spelling. Right now I am on such German overload!!!!
I just thought it interesting that when you are seeking and searching for German books to read - I wrote in my journal last night how delighted I would be to go to a Borders and see ENGLISH everywhere. Perspective is such an interesting thing!
I'm praying for you.

Brent hat gesagt…

I'm sorry about Oreo, too.

Schweers' Mom hat gesagt…

I'm so sorry about Oreo! What a miserable day...=-(

Try getting a Bible in German. It's amazing how much you will pick up because the text is already familiar. Also, a cute movie to watch is "Schultze Gets the Blues." Yes, it's kind of weird, but it's quite Deutsch and made me giggle. It is in German with English subtitles.

Hugs!