Tin Roof Background

Mittwoch, Oktober 19, 2005

Debating

I know I need to find a job that pays more, but I've actually caught myself thinking about what would happen if I changed my plan for college. My previous plan was to do basics at NCTC and transfer to Cedar Valley College and take the two-year course to get my vet tech degree. Biology is becoming increasingly more difficult and I know that's one of the major things I'll need to know and be good at for vet school. Afterall, to be in the veterinary field you have to be just as good with academics as you are with animals.

The plan that's floating around in my head now is to finish the year at NCTC and find a university to go to that has German language courses and go there to major in German and minor in English. I really love writing and seeing what people think of my work, and I love languages even though I haven't been formally taught any. My thoughts were that if I went this route, I could be a German teacher in a highschool (my other seriously thought out career path - a highschool teacher) and still be able to easily quit to have kids (not in the middle of the year, of course, but I'd be able to quit rather easily) and provide the "house money" so that my husband and I can move in before the first child is born. I'm fascinated by the German language; I've been known to say that German is the superior language, that no one should speak English (or any other language) anymore. I've always loved the German language and what little I know of the culture. There's a lot that I don't know, but what little I do know, I am really interested in. I really want to know more.

I know it's a drastic change and I'm not really sure that's what I want to do, but I'm really not sure if I can handle the work load to be a vet tech. Looking over the course schedule I find that there are never, in the entire two year course, less than 13 hours in the fall and spring semesters. I'm having a hard time working and taking 13 hours - I'm sure I'd be doing better in biology if I had more time to study and learn. Here's their course schedule: Summer semester 1: 7 hours. Fall semester 1: 14 hours. Spring semester 1: 15 hours. Summer semester 2: 6 hours. Fall semester 2: 16 hours. Spring semester 2: 15 hours. I can't do that and work at the same time and if I don't go to school for even a single semester just to work, that'll change my future plans drastically and I don't want to do that.

This change, whether for or against, is going to change my plans for the next five years at least. There are things that I'm waiting for that I don't want to put off any longer, and these things won't work well if I mix them together. I haven't even mentioned this to my parents yet, whom I'm sure would freak out upon hearing such a seemingly bizzare idea. Of course they'd bring up the whole money issue, but there's a money issue for me going to Cedar Valley, too. I'd need an apartment and books; tuition alone is going to be 10,000 per year! I know that's not a lot for college, but it's a lot for me, a girl who has no choice but to pay for her own tuition.

Should I change or should I stick to the original plan? I don't know what to do - the stress from everything is crushing my brain.

I am frustrated and I am helpless. I have a paper to write.

2 Kommentare:

Julie hat gesagt…

I was denied the Pell Grant from NCTC. They didn't say why I wasn't eligible, which makes me think that my parents have too much money coming in, no matter how much they have left over after bills.

I really don't have a high SAT score - that didn't even get me into NCTC.

I'll definitely apply for scholarships, although I don't expect to get anything from them.

Julie hat gesagt…

A 1210?!?!? I wish. 1080, dear. I'm not as smart as people think I am.