It was amazing. The ski trip this year was so much fun. I pushed myself on the slopes, I conquered personal challenges for me and with others around me, I learned a lot and did a lot. Here's a link to the trail map in case you'd like to see the runs I name: http://ww2.skiwinterpark.com/downloads/WP-TrailMap-0506.pdf
The first day of skiing I went all the way up to Mary Jane (I had never been that high on the mountain before) and I rode the Zephyr lift (an accomplishment for me because it is very high off the ground and I am terrified of heights). It snowed all night the previous night, so the powder was really nice and while the morning was clear, it snowed during the afternoon and all that night as well.
The second day of skiing the weather was perfect! It was warm (low 30's) and the sun was shining all day long. I skied my first blue that day, the blue end of March Hare. We also took the first half of Jabberwocky which is a blue, later that afternoon. I chickened out on going up to Parsenn Bowl after lunch; I felt tired and wasn't sure I could handle it since I'd only skied two blues, both of which were short. I later regretted that decision.
The third day of skiing was alright. The sun was out in the morning, but soon a small blizzard came in. Kelley and I waited for Josh, John, and Taylor in the warming hut on Mary Jane while they went up to the bowl again. I had chickened out again, but this time for at least a semi-legitimate reason; I was feeling nauseous even though I had been drinking water and I was developing a headache. Plus it was windy up on Mary Jane and I was scared to go above the treeline on a two-person lift when it was that windy amidst the trees. After the boys returned, we all skied down the mountain, to the base, through the blizzard.
The run we came down last was Parkway, a green run that ended in a blue-equivalent slope, one that I had done several times but had always fallen on. This time was different though and I managed not to fall. I came down happy as could be because I didn't fall on Parkway. I came to the four who were waiting at the bottom. I pulled up next to Kelley and started doing a little dance because I didn't fall. As soon as I stopped dancing, I fell over. It was the funniest thing I could have done! I was laughing harder than everyone else, I think.
By the time we got down, the snow had virtually stopped. Josh wanted to do one more run before lunch and suggested doing Lower Hughes, a blue black. Kelley had mentioned doing that run simply because she wanted to "ride herself." I had taken off my skis already since I thought we were going to lunch as planned, but the boys and Kelley wanted to do Lower Hughes. I was feeling great after not having fallen on Parkway, so I let Josh and Kelley talk me into going. I told Josh that he was going to pay for my medical bills when I hurt myself if I did go. He agreed, so I went. John and Taylor plowed down the run while Kelley, Josh and I took it slow. I went down the run fairly easily, concentrating on "the trees rather than the forest" as Josh had advised. I focused on each turn, slowly parallelling down the mountain. I only fell once, which I was amazed at, and was crying for joy when I got down the mountain, in complete shock that I had successfully skied a blue black. Kelley and I told everyone about our accomplishment and with that, ended our skiing for this trip. We both wanted to end on a good note, so neither of us went with the boys after lunch.
That afternoon, after shopping, and watching the snow get heavier outside, Kelley and I were sitting at a table with some other crossroads people when groups of people came in saying that there was a white-out on the mountain and that they were closing lifts. The final report came that they were evacuating the mountain due to a blizzard. Most of the group was there at the tables anyway, so the leaders decided that if all the rooms were there, then we could leave early. It was only an hour early, so it wasn't too early, but still. All of the groups were there except Josh's, so I got permission to let my girls go back to the lodge with everyone else while I waited for Josh, John, and Taylor to get back. Trevor had to wait too, because the other three boys were the ones in his room. Trevor and I waited with Debbie for the boys to get back. About 10 minutes later, Josh came up the stairs to the lunch area, covered in snow and out of breath. He said they were closing the lifts due to lightning, which is odd for a blizzard. The three of them made it back safely and we ended up being on the same bus as my girls, so everything worked out in the end.
The bus rides were long and almost torturous (I think I just made that word up) making flying seem so much more worth the extra $150, but we had fun and bonded, so that is a plus. The bus ride home seemed shorter than the ride there, but I think the time of day had something to do with that. Overall, it was a great experience. I think skiing in the Alps would be freaking awesome - maybe I can do that when I go to Germany. ;)
Josh leaves to go back to college today. It'll be sad to see him go as usual, but moreso this time because I've spent an entire week with him. I almost can't wait for the regular routine to begin again, but at the same time, I love not having to worry about school or waking up at a certain time and I most definitely enjoy having Josh only 20 minutes away again. Hope your spring break was great. Tschüss!
Sonntag, März 19, 2006
Abonnieren
Kommentare zum Post (Atom)
1 Kommentar:
Sounds like a blast! Glad you had so much fun. Congrats on your accomplishments on the mountain. Woo -hoo.
Hey, we still need to have coffee...let me know!
Kommentar veröffentlichen