Tin Roof Background

Montag, Oktober 05, 2009

We Didn't Go

The morning we were supposed to go to Munich, the alarm went off on Josh's phone; he turned it off and set it for later. That one went off, too, and was turned off. I didn't know he had set an alarm, so I wasn't prepared to get him up when it went off. Consequently, we didn't get up until the train we were going to take at 9:00 had already left. There wasn't another fast regional train until 14:00. I was still prepared to go, though I honestly had mixed feelings about it. I really wanted to take a peek at Oktoberfest, hoping that it really was more than a bier fest and we would stay there all day. I also really wanted to go to the Deutsches Musem which is basically the German equivalent of the Smithsonian. We found a train that left at 13:08, but Josh hadn't gotten ready because of his own mixed feelings. I was disappointed because we didn't get to go and now the regret of not going to Oktoberfest is setting in. I really should have made him get up and go, but I wasn't sure if I was up to going, either; my cold is still here and not getting any better. Now I really am kicking myself. I knew I would regret it, but that wasn't motivation enough, apparently. Maybe we'll go next year; get a group of people to go with us or something.

I'm ready to go home. I need something familiar. I'm tired of eating stuff out of boxes because they don't have anything else at the grocery store. I feel like a horrible wife because the only useful things I do are cooking, dishes, laundry, tidying up the room, and posting pictures on the internet. I won't start language classes until we move into the new apartment. I can't leave the apartment during the day because I don't have the key and the front door is the type that you need the key to close (latch) or open the door from the outside. I can't talk with my friends and family on a regular basis at all; Rebecca is the only person that is as crazy about being online as I am, so I get to talk to her quite a bit, which is so good. I'm probably in the homesick phase. We were talking with a guy in the hostel's common room a few weeks ago and he said that when he traveled for over a year, he would get into a homesick phase about once every month or two that would last a couple of weeks. He said after the homesick phase he went into the i'm-glad-i'm-somewhere-new-and-exciting phase, and that the two phases just played back and forth. I'm comfortable where I am, I know where the grocery store is, I know where the subway entrances are, I know where the train station is, I know where the nearest Döner Kebab place is (right around the corner from the apartment!), but I don't feel at home. I am so bored.

I need to start over with Robyn's idea. I haven't done this since January. I stopped at day #12. Oops.

Day #1
Today what makes me thankful is... that I have a husband that takes good care of me.

Today what makes me happy is... the sun is shining!

Today what makes me free is... I don't have a job or classes to take away from my time to spend with Josh.

Have a great day! Tschüss!

3 Kommentare:

Anonym hat gesagt…

Don't kick yourself too hard about Oktoberfest, Julie. I know when I am experiencing a case of the "regrets" it's usually because I'm afraid I missed out on something. But many times it turns out that the anticipation of the event or what I imagined it to be is a bigger deal than the event itself. (if that made any sense):) Maybe y'all can plan another trip when you're feeling better and see the "Munich Smithsonian" then. You'll have plenty of time to do that.

I understand about the "culture shock" and wanting something familiar. Hang in there. I'm sure it will "feel like home" before long.

Schweers' Mom hat gesagt…

Oktoberfest...highly over-rated. Seriously. The museum you can catch some other time (and I would as it's very good).

I remember crying a lot at first when I was there (and I was pretty much your age) as I missed the familiar so much (and I even spoke the language). There were days that I didn't ever want to hear German again. And I didn't want to eat German food ever again. And ... you get the drift. I totally get it. When you are back in the US, you will have days that you will almost cry just thinking about Deutschland. I vividly remember the day Mom and I flew home in June 2000 (from Munich) and looking out the airplane window an crying because it's a country I love so much. Strange, huh? Wouldn't it be fun it I could visit you and then you could laugh at my very rusty Deutsch? lol Hugs!

Julie hat gesagt…

I so wish that you could visit, Lori! Josh's parent's are trying to visit during Christmas break, so that will be something familiar! :)